Sunshine in a Cup: Pina Colada Smoothie

I’ve been on a little smoothie kick lately, and love to blend my favorite fruits along with some plain, nonfat yogurt for a quick breakfast or afternoon snack.  You still will retain the fiber in the fruits and get some satiety and staying power with the protein in the yogurt.  Add a little honey or agave nectar to the smoothie if you’re working with fruits that are a little on the sour side, but if they ain’t broke, don’t fix ‘em!  For this Pina Colada smoothie, instead of adding coconut milk, which is high in saturated fat, I just added in a few drops of coconut extract.  It does the trick and tastes almost like an umbrella drink! ;)

Having trouble incorporating more fruits into your day?  Here are some tips to increase your quota (more is better with produce – aim for more than 5 to 9 servings of fruits and veggies daily!):

- Pre-cut fruits that will last you a few days.  It’s going to be easier on you when you want to make a quick smoothie or if you’re starting to feel the mid-afternoon munchies.  This week, I cut some pineapple and strawberries and stored it in a large container in the fridge.  You’ll find it easier to improvise with your meals (without the extra effort), such as tossing in some pineapple chunks for sweet-and-sour stir-fries or plopping strawberries into your morning cereal.

- If you’re a road warrior and always on the go, freeze grapes or blueberries and stash them in your lunch sack.  That way, you won’t have any excuses that your fruit will be too warm by lunchtime!

- If your typical breakfast is some toast with peanut butter, slice some bananas on top to add some potassium and vitamin B6 into your day (sprinkle with cinnamon for a sweet kick!).

- Snack on freeze-dried or dried fruits (within portion limits) with a handful of nuts if you’re starting to feel hunger urges mid-morning.

And those are just a few ideas.  What do you do to incorporate more produce into your day?

Pina Colada Smoothie

serves 2

1 banana, sliced (or two small baby bananas)

1 cup fresh diced pineapple

1 cup plain, nonfat yogurt

1/2 tsp coconut extract

If needed: Honey or agave nectar, to taste

Crushed ice, to desired consistency

1.  Blend all items together (in a food processor or blender) and serve.

This entry was posted in beverages, fruits and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Sunshine in a Cup: Pina Colada Smoothie

1. Phi says:

I love smoothies and I totally have coconut extract so I need to try that.

2. Mara says:

My go-to smoothie every morning. I assemble this the night before: 1 cup raw baby spinach (trust me, you can’t taste or see it!) 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 frozen banana (I buy bunches from Sam’s club and freeze them) 1/2 cup light soy milk, 1/2 cup acai berry juice. If you assemble this and store over night in the fridge, the frozen fruit will be soft enough to blend but still icy enough to give you a really thick, really purple shake in the morning! Trust me, you can’t taste the spinach!

3. Lauren says:

I have a feeling I’ll be making many of these come Summer!

4. nutrition to kitchen says:

Phi – try it and let me know how you like it!

Mara – That’s such a cool recipe! I’m definitely going to try the spinach in the smoothie – it sounds delicious with all the other berries you put in there!

Lauren – yes, I will be as well! :)

5. Megan says:

YUM! This looks and sounds so light and refreshing-it’s got me thinking about the beach!

6. This pina colada smoothie sounds great! I too am going to have to try the spinach one mentioned by Mara!! I bet with a little protein powder it’d be the perfect break to my night time fast :)

7. This sounds so refreshing. Reminds me that Spring is coming! I’m not sure my kids would love it if I added spinach to their smoothies but… since Mara said to trust her I just might have to give it a try!

8. lifewithnature says:

Good recipe. I add spinach in mine and omit the yogurt (you can see the recipe on my blog). Coconut extract… that might come handy when I’m out of coconut water!

9. Great idea of a delicious healthy smoothie drink. I did this for the second time now and it’s always a hit at home. But because I like the sweeter taste of the cream of coconut but not the calories, so I put coconut flavored non daily coffee creamer instead of coconut extract. It’s a little harder to find it than the more common flavors, but persevere. I also add a splash of sugar free coconut syrup for a little stronger coconut flavor.

Thanks for this idea and will try your other recipes as well.

10. Great idea of a delicious healthy smoothie drink! I did this for the second time now and it’s always a hit at home. I like the sweeter taste of the cream of coconut but not the calories, so I put coconut flavored non daily coffee creamer instead of coconut extract. It’s a little harder to find it than the more common flavors, but I persevere. I also add a splash of sugar free coconut syrup for a little stronger coconut flavor.

Thanks for this idea and will try your other recipes as well.

11. Faith says:

This sounds delicious, can’t wait to try it! I, like Mara, often add spinach or kale to my smoothies. I use a Magic Bullet and my go-to recipe is to fill the cup with fresh spinach or kale, then add 1/2 cup orange juice and blend. Next I add a banana, 1/2 cup yogurt, and 1 cup frozen sliced strawberries and blend again. Sometimes I add 2 tbsp flax seed meal. I’ve also been without yogurt before and I just up the OJ to 3/4 cup and that’s great too. With the amount of greens I use, it does make a horribly unappetizing color but I promise it still tastes delicious!