Spicy, Crispy Kale Chips

I’ll have to admit, the first time I tried kale, I wasn’t in love.

It was love at second sight, I’d say, because when I made these spicy kale chips sprinkled with curry powder, coriander, and cayenne pepper, whooo baby, a surprising thing happened!  The sturdy leaves became crisp, caramelized, and light, and the bitterness and strong flavor went away.  If you’re a chip-aholic, you might want to try this instead of the deep-fried snacks that abound in the snack aisle.

Kale is one of those superfoods that you just can’t ignore, which is why I gave it a second chance.  In one cup of boiled kale (only 36 calories by the way!), you get more than 100% of your needs for vitamin K, which is responsible for healthy blood clotting and bone formation.  Lutein and zeaxanthin in kale promote eye health.  In addition, you’ll intake an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and manganese, as well as a very good amount of fiber, potassium, and vitamin B6.  Superfood all the way!

Preparation-wise, kale is an assertive green and can be bitter.  To get rid of some of the bitterness in sauteed kale, blanch your kale in a few cups of water first, until slightly tender, then drain and saute in a little olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice (or whatever you fancy).  Or, you can take the shortcut if you’re looking for something fun to snack on, and just pop them in the oven this way!

Warning: these kale chips are highly addictive!

Spicy, Crispy Kale Chips

makes: a bunch (sorry, too busy munching once these were out of the oven!)  All I can say is that one bunch of kale can make a few cups, or a big bowlful, of kale chips :)

1 bunch kale, hand-torn into bite-sized pieces (discard the tough inner stems)

1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp curry powder

Olive oil or canola oil cooking spray

Salt, to taste

1.  Preheat oven to 300°F.  Spray 2 large baking sheets with canola or olive oil cooking spray.  Whisk together the olive oil with the coriander, cayenne, and curry powder.  Make sure your kale is rinsed and thoroughly dried; use a salad spinner and blot with paper towels afterward to get rid of excess moisture.  Drizzle over the kale and toss with your hands until all surfaces are coated (I rub the kale leaves together so that the dressing is more evenly coated).

2.  Spread the kale in a single layer on the baking sheets, and pop them in the oven for 18-22 minutes, flipping the kale once halfway through baking.  The kale is done when crispy and slightly browned on the edges; sprinkle lightly with salt once out of the oven (hint: you don’t need much at all!).

This entry was posted in vegetarian and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Spicy, Crispy Kale Chips

1. I’ve become a huge fan of sautéed kale but this takes it a delicious step beyond! In fact, while we were in the Philippines, we had crisypy ‘kangkong’ (water spinach) leaves, which I loved and wanted to make at home. Kale is not only chock full of nutrients, it’s easier for me to find! Thanks so much!!

• nutrition to kitchen says:

Tangled Noodle – I love water spinach, it’s one of those vegetables I grew up eating a lot of and never get tired with it; the crispy prep sounds great for that!

2. Thank you for posting this! I tried Kale for the first time a few months ago and didn’t like it very much. I sauteed it with some garlic and onions and found it to be too blagh. I added a little balsamic vinegar/sour cream mixture to jazz it up a that still didn’t save it.

I read good things about Kale chips and have been meaning to try them. This is a great recipe! Looks easy enough for me to handle. :)

3. nutrition to kitchen says:

Betsy – I totally hear you. When I sauteed it, I tried the whole balsamic/pine nut/parmesan combo but I guess I flopped on that. Haha! At least it is delicious on other ways! :)

Culinary Chronicles – I’m glad! It’s the real “veggie chip!”

4. Phi says:

This sounds really yummy and addictive- I like the curry in it.

5. Sandy says:

I love chips very much, that too if it is made of potatoes. I never heard of kale chips, it looks delicious and crispy. Thanks for posting the recipe, i would try soon

6. I have marked these off to try them!

7. Chez Us says:

Don’t you just love kale chips. We have been making them for a couple years. I like to season them with a little soy sauce – very addictive!

8. nutrition to kitchen says:

Chez Us – that reminds me of the rice snacks here in Hawaii that are seasoned with soy sauce. I agree, it would make them super-addictive :)

Dawn and Sandy – Do let me know how you like it when you do make it!

9. ok, you’ve really convinced us, will have to try this and maybe throw in some rau muong too

10. nutrition to kitchen says:

ravenouscouple: Rau muong is my fave, especially sauteed with lots of garlic! :)

11. neo says:

nice recipe.. i’m indonesian and to love cooking, but my english not so well, i hope you add translate tool on this blog. nice to visit this blog.
    regard :D

12. Pingback: No-Whining Dining: The Blog » Blog Archive » Curly, Crispy Kale

13. I made these this evening and loved them. Crisp, zesty, and healthy! I had them as a side with a meal, but they’d make a great snack or garnish for soups or casseroles. Thanks for this suggestion on what to do with a leftover bunch of kale!

14. Linda says:

I was pretty skeptical but this recipe is AMAZING! I will be spreading the word about this fantastic way to eat more kale – a nutritional powerhouse to be sure.

15. Cindy says:

I tried some kale chips with a bit of cider vinegar in the recipe a while ago and really tried to like them, but it didn’t happen. I’ll definately file this one away/post it on my blog and give it a try someday. Thanks. Seems like we’ve (food bloggers) have only begun to scratch the surface in the kale chip universe.

16. nutrition to kitchen says:

no-whining dining: These kale chips sound great served as a side dish! I think the next time I make them, I’ll serve some grilled chicken atop a bed of them.

Linda: Thanks for the try!

Cindy: Yes, I imagine new recipes to come with this :)

17. Pingback: Fix Me A Snack » Blog Archive » Web morsels

18. rachel says:

holy yum. I just made them and they’re sooo delicious.

Also, instead of throwing out the stems I dipped them in hummus for a crunchy treat!

ps if you make your own hummus… add some fresh dill to it to liven it up!

19. Pingback: Gluten Free With Dee » Gluten Free Snack Idea – Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips!

20. Lamen says:

Tram, I made these not too long ago, and really liked them! thanks for the recipe. I think these will work great as a soup topper.