French Onion and Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich

img_1918We’ve been out and about all weekend, and since I’m also off today, didn’t want to fuss about in the kitchen for too long, especially since we’re set to go surfing soon!  I felt like some type of a grilled sandwich today, and thought of French onion soup for some reason, maybe because it’s a comfort food with all that gooey cheese on top.

So that’s what I decided to mock my sandwich after – the French onion soup, sans beef broth :) .  I bought a loaf of Rosemary Olive Oil Bread the other day made by La Brea Bakery – I love when you buy breads that are still warm and huggable!  We love this bread and had some of it with Phong’s grilled chicken and veggies last night (he makes some delish grilled chicken – I don’t even bother anymore because it’s always so good.  All I know is that he puts in a little kick with a few potent drops of Dave’s Insanity Sauce).  This sandwich has less fat than usual grilled cheese sandwiches as well – I don’t use too much cheese, and just spray my George Foreman Grill with olive oil spray instead of butter.

French Onion and Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich

serves 2

2 tsp olive oil

1/2 yellow onion, sliced

1 clove garlic, minced

1 cup button mushrooms, sliced

1/4 tsp dried rosemary

Pinch of dried bay leaves

1 tsp sherry

Salt and pepper, to taste

4 slices good bakery bread (Rosemary Olive Oil, French, etc)

1 Tbsp whole-grain Dijon mustard (or to taste)

1/4 cup grated fontina cheese

3 tbsp grated Gruyére cheese

4 slices tomato

Olive oil cooking spray

1.  In a small saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic, cooking for a few minutes until the onions begin to caramelize.  Add the mushrooms, rosemary, bay leaves, sherry, salt and pepper, and saute for another 5-6 minutes, until onions are slightly browned and mushrooms are cooked through.  Place the mixture into a small bowl.

2.  To assemble, heat a George Foreman grill, panini press, or a clean saute pan.  Spray both plates of the GF Grill or Panini Press with the olive oil cooking spray.  On one slice of bread, spread 1/2 the mustard and top with 1/2 the onion-mushroom mixture.  Top with 1/2 the fontina cheese, add 2 slices of tomato, and top with Gruyére cheese.  Top the sandwich with the other slice of bread.  Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.

3.  Place the sandwich in the panini press or George Foreman grill, pressing down so that the sandwich cooks evenly on both sides.  Cook for a few minutes, until golden brown on both sides.  If cooking on a saute pan, make sure to apply pressure on the sandwich with a spatula and repeat when you flip the sandwich over to the other side.

This entry was posted in main entree, vegetarian and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to French Onion and Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich

1. duodishes says:

This sounds like a great rainy day lunch!

2. Mandy says:

“huggable” – what a great way to describe a fresh loaf of bread! I never thought of using the George Foreman grill for sandwiches. I’ll have to give it a try!
    I’m so envious that you can go surfing at the beach. It’s SO cold here.

3. phi says:

huggable is a really cute description for warm bread and i really agree! this sounds so good i love french onion and paninis. remember when you would come over on thurs nights and we’d do make-your-own paninis? i don’t even like mustard but for some reason it’s so good with grilled cheese. we made a big batch of carmelized onions and put it in the freezer to use when we need it so we don’t have to do it every time. =P

4. luckytastebuds says:

Hi! I just found your wonderful blog and absolutely love that you’re combining yummy food an good nutrition in one home-made package! I’m always looking for cool new recipes to try and am a big fan of your recipes!! (I have a close friend at UH med school and I’m SOOO jealous of her tan every time she comes to visit ime in Chicago!!)

• Tram Le says:

Thanks Michelle! So happy that you’re enjoying the recipes…Chicago’s a long way from Hawaii but I visited it last year and loved it! You guys have tons of cool restaurants there. Thanks for the wonderful comment! :)

5. lo! says:

My kinda sammich! Especially tasty on rosemary bread… *drool*
    Loving the blog…

6. Rico says:

looks great and delicious too. wouldn’t mind one right now. :D

7. Kat says:

This sounds great! I love making sandwiches on the good ol’ George Foreman, too. Who needs a fancy panini maker? :)

8. nutrition to kitchen says:

Kat – yes, who needs a fancy panini maker? You can also just grill it on the BBQ or in a hot pan on the stove and it’ll be just fine :)

9. Jeannie says:

Oh this sandwich is so yummy looking! I wouldnt mind eating them for lunch! Looks so crispy outside and full of goodness inside.

10. Maurice says:

thanks for recipe, really enjoy the flavors, and excellent sandwich for work..thanks guys

11. momgateway says:

Looks healthy and irresisible, Tram!

12. There’s nothing better in the world than caramelized onions! Throw in some mushrooms and its a love affair made in heaven…:) Thank you for the recipe.